Otto Modersohn Museum Tecklenburg

2014-2015

Conversion and reconstruction of a landmarked house

address:
Am Markt 9
49545 Tecklenburg

staff:
Janine Tillmann

client:
Trägerverein Otto Modersohn Museum Tecklenburg

start of Plannung:
September 2014

realisation: 2015

BGF:
300 m2



The Otto Modersohn Museum Tecklenburg (OMMT) goes back to a suggestion from Rainer Noeres, director of the Otto Modersohn Museum in Fischerhude. If there were people to be found who would make a building available, the Otto Modersohn Foundation would “gladly” loan works from Modersohn’s early work to Tecklenburg. No sooner said than done: a Tecklenburg family bought the old burgher house Am Markt 9, financed the conversion, and initiated the founding of a sponsoring organisation (OMMT e.V.). Thus, the city of Tecklenburg and the district of Steinfurt could be given the promise to finance the construction and maintenance of the OMMT largely without public funds. The establishment and operation of the building are sustained by the supporting association OMMT e.V. and by the Förderkreis OMMT e.V. A team of volunteers runs the museum. In the first year after the opening in October 2015, about 14,000 guests had already visited the museum.

The burgher house was built around 1826; its oldest parts date back to around 1700. Until 2009, it served as a residential building and was then empty for several years. The half-timbered eaves house with a half-hip roof features a small commercial area next to the living area, consisting of a vestibule with an entrance gate. The western gable area partly leans directly on the gatehouse of the city fortification from 1577.

During its more than 180 years of use as a residential building, it has been adapted to modern needs and technical innovations. Among others, open fireplaces were replaced with stoves; a bathroom and additional living rooms with dormers were added in the attic. However, the original substance as well as a number of original elements remained intact.

In the course of the renovation and conversion of the residential building into the museum by our office, fittings and walls from the 20th century were removed, so that the spatial sequence of the 19th century could be largely restored and experienced. The four rooms south of the corridor serve for the exhibition as well as the market-side room north of this. The former kitchen, from which a door leads into the garden, became barrier-free entrance area, where tickets and books are sold.

A new staircase was installed in the former vestibule, which complies with the building law requirements for fire protection in buildings with public use. At the same time, this protects the original staircase from use by visitors. The former stable at the back of the vestibule accommodates sanitary and supply rooms.

There were unexpected, static problems on the upper floor. During the renovation, it turned out that the original interior walls, made of framework with quarry stone filling, did not rest on walls on the ground floor. Instead of carrying out extensive support measures on the ground floor, which would have disturbed the spatial image and the exhibition facilities, the filling material of the truss was partially replaced by a light cladding. In contrast, the remaining wall is “exhibited” in its special historical materiality. Behind it are an office and a video room, as well as another exhibition space. The spacious loft is intended for lectures and events. Two newer dormers to the garden were dismantled. For the purpose of an energy renovation, the roof and the exterior walls were insulated from the inside, all existing windows were replaced with new wooden windows, and a new heating system was installed. All of the original fitting elements have been restored, in particular the Classicist front door to the market and the vestibule gate.

 

Otto Modersohn Museum Tecklenburg

2014-2015

Conversion and reconstruction of a landmarked house

address:
Am Markt 9
49545 Tecklenburg

staff:
Janine Tillmann

client:
Trägerverein Otto Modersohn Museum Tecklenburg

start of Plannung:
September 2014

realisation: 2015

BGF:
300 m2