Marshall-Haus

Berlin, 2008

Revitalising of a landmarked exhibition building from the 1950s

address:
Messedamm 22
Berlin- Charlottenburg (Messegelände)

client: Messe Berlin GmbH

projectmanager: Janine Tillmann

staff: Ines Kulesch, Harald Weber  

services: Generalplanung HOAI LPH 2 - 9 mit GKK

 



The Marshall Haus at Messe Berlin (Berlin Exhibition Centre) originated from the head of the design department of the West Berlin Building Authority Bruno Grimmek (1902–1969) and was erected on the occasion of the first German Industrial Exhibition in Berlin in 1950 as the American pavilion. Lightness, transparency, curved forms, emphasised horizontality—the Marshall Haus ideally unites these characteristics of architecture from the 1950s.

Since the 1960s, it has been modified considerably due to changing uses inside and outside, until it was barely recognisable as carpentry workshop. Placed under monument protection in 1988, it was to be restored to its original purpose.

Through the dismantling of all installations and conversions and the restoration of the original interior with its gallery, lighting fixtures, colours, and period flooring, the original character of the building was reconstructed in detail. Thus, the Marshall Haus has also regained its original variety of uses.

The aim of the revitalisation was to create the link between the original building stock, the materiality and detailing characteristic for the time, and the current rules of technology. Thereby, the main focus was on the preservation of the filigreed, transparent character of the pavilion, its special design quality, and bright atmosphere.

Marshall-Haus

Berlin, 2008

Revitalising of a landmarked exhibition building from the 1950s

address:
Messedamm 22
Berlin- Charlottenburg (Messegelände)

client: Messe Berlin GmbH

projectmanager: Janine Tillmann

staff: Ines Kulesch, Harald Weber  

services: Generalplanung HOAI LPH 2 - 9 mit GKK